TI사의 Beagleboard의 장점만을 가져온 저가형 오픈 하드웨어 플랫폼인 BeageBone
보드사이즈도 작고 TI사의 AM3358 ARM Cortex-A8 기반의 칩이 사용되었고, 물론 Linux 기반이다.
Rascal과 비슷하게 웹서버 내장형 개발 환경을 제공한다.
오픈 하드웨어이므로 관련 정보는 모두 오픈되어 있다. http://beagleboard.org/hardware/design/
BeagleBone에 대한 설명
The BeagleBone is the low-cost, high-expansion hardware-hacker focused BeagleBoard. It is a bare-bones BeagleBoard that acts as a USB or Ethernet connected expansion companion for your current BeagleBoard and BeagleBoard-xM or works stand-alone. The BeagleBone is small even by BeagleBoard standards and with the high-performance ARM capabilities you expect from a BeagleBoard, the BeagleBone brings full-featured Linux to places it has never gone before.
- Board size: 3.4″ x 2.1″
- Shipped with 2GB microSD card with the Angstrom Distribution with node.js and Cloud9 IDE
- Single cable development environment with built-in FTDI-based serial/JTAG and on-board hub to give the same cable simultaneous access to a USB device port on the target processor
- Industry standard 3.3V I/Os on the expansion headers with easy-to-use 0.1″ spacing
- On-chip Ethernet, not off of USB
- Easier to clone thanks to larger pitch on BGA devices (0.8mm vs. 0.4mm), no package-on-package memories, standard DDR2 vs. LPDDR, integrated USB PHYs and more.
관련 정보: http://beagleboard.org/bone
왜 확장 헤더들이 Arduino와 호환이 안되느냐는 FAQ도 있다.
Why aren’t the BeagleBone expansion headers compatible with the Arduino?
We set out to enable something different than the Arduino, though certainly having the breadth of add-on boards available to the Arduino is in our goals. While it would have been possible to make this happen and it is still possible to make an add-on board that would adapt to that interface, the performance and cost of interfacing to Arduino shields as-is would under-utilize the capabilities of the underlying Linux-based system and compete in places where an Arduino is really the right solution.
We are anxious to work with open hardware partners looking to generate and sell add-on boards and microSD card images (or Linux kernel patches or node.js libraries) that make hardware support transparent. Availability on the BeagleBone will be at least as high as the current BeagleBoard and BeagleBoard-xM, so the audience for your add-on hardware will be extensive. Direct links on the BeagleBone purchase page are welcome, as long as the key Linux distribution and hardware test developers are provided with early hardware to ensure quality interoperability. Open software collaboration through the BeagleBoard mailing list is highly encouraged.